Ether is a necessary element — a fuel — for operating the distributed application platform Ethereum. It is a form of payment made by the clients of the platform to the machines executing the requested operations. To put it another way, ether is the incentive ensuring that developers write quality applications (wasteful code costs more), and that the network remains healthy (people are compensated for their contributed resources).
- This Russian Startup Invented a Heater That Mines Ethereum - Bitsonline (press release) (blog)
- History Repeated? Confidence High Ethereum Will Avoid Blockchain Split - CoinDesk
- Russians have invented a high-tech heater that also mines Ethereum - TNW
- Quick Start Guide to GPU Ethereum Mining - Bitsonline (press release) (blog)
- Inno3D Cranks Out NVIDIA Pascal-Based P106-090 Ethereum Mining Cards - Hot Hardware